Boston’s award winning SoWa Farmers Market features locally grown produce, specialty foods, bath and body products, and cooking/kitchen products and services from all over the New England area.
The SoWa Farmers Market is part of the nationally recognized SoWa Open Market and is located at 500 Harrison Avenue, near the SoWa Arts Market and the SoWa Food Truck Court.
DATES AND HOURS OF OPERATION:
The SoWa Farmers Market operates every Sunday from May 5, 2013 through October 27, 2013, including holidays. The market is open from 10AM-4PM.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE:
Farmers and specialty food vendors must grow or process at least 80% of saleable items. Farmers and specialty food vendors may only sell foods processed in an approved licensed facility. The SoWa Farmers Market is a juried market. All applicants are required to submit an application for review no later than February 28, 2013. Applications received after February 28 will be considered on a case by case basis.
- Application deadline: February 28, 2013
- Notification date: March 2, 2013
- Documentation/permit applications due by: March 10, 2013
Please carefully review market policies and documentation/permit requirements before applying. Click HERE to apply for the 2013 season.
- The only way to guarantee a confirmed spot at the SoWa Farmers Market is to sign up for a minimum of 5 dates or more.
- Payment is due no later than 10 days prior to each reserved market.
- Failure to pay on time will result in a $25 late fee.
- You may reserve as many additional dates as you like during the season as long as spots are still available in your product category. Email requests for additional dates to firstname.lastname@example.org
- IMPORTANT: by choosing reserved dates, you are making a commitment to the SoWa Open Market and are responsible for timely payment of your reserved dates whether you attend or not. Carefully review the payment, cancellation and date change policies before applying.
VENDOR FEES (for 10×10):
- Farms $40
- Specialty Food $60
- Bath and Body $60
- Kitchen/Cooking Products and Services $60
DOCUMENTATION AND PERMIT REQUIREMENTS:
The SoWa Farmers market will obtain the necessary City of Boston Board of Health permits on behalf of accepted vendors. The following documentation will be required from vendors accepted to the market:
Specialty and Prepared Food Vendors:
- City of Boston Farmers Market permit application. Permit applies only for the Sowa Farmers Market location and for the 2013 season. Click HERE for the application form.
- Permit fee of $100 payable to the City of Boston
- Copy of licence or permit to show proof of certified inspected kitchen where food is prepared
- Copy of Serve Safe certificate (helpful but not mandatory)
- Copy of allergen certificate (helpful but not mandatory)
- Copy of your state issued license if you sell or re-sell pre-packaged food goods
- Meat vendors: will need to provide USDA labels and license from the approved processing facility
- City of Boston Farmers Market permit application (see above)
- If you are selling uncut and non-prepared fresh produce and plants, no other documents are needed
- If you are selling baked goods, dairy or any other prepared foods, meat, vegetables or fruit, we need the same documentation listed above for specialty food vendors
Bath & Body, Kitchen Wares and Services:
- No special permit or documentation is required
Please include your invoice number and business name in the memo of your check. Make all checks payable to NE Open Markets LLC and send to:
NE Open Markets LLC
41 Sweeney Lane
Plymouth MA 02360
After being accepted you’ll be sent a link to your personal payment page. To pay by credit card, please use the drop down menus on the Vendor Payment page
All payments are due 10 days prior to reserved market dates. If you miss the deadline you will incur a $25.00 late fee.
The SoWa Farmers Market is a rain or shine market. Booth fees are non-refundable. You are responsible for payment of your reserved dates, whether you attend or not. No credits or make-up dates will be granted for cancellations received in the 10 days prior to the market or for no-shows.
Pay-As-You-Go Cancellation Policy:
Once you have fulfilled the 5 date minimum requirement, you may cancel one of your remaining dates as long as you give us 10 days advance notice. All additional date cancellations will incur a cancellation fee of up to 100% of your invoice balance. Exceptions to the cancellation policy will be considered on a case by case basis and only in the event of a personal or family emergency. You may be required to submit official proof of the emergency.
Paid Market Cancellation Policy:
No refunds will be given for cancellation of paid reservations, however a credit toward future market dates will be issued for cancellation of paid dates received in writing via email or letter at least 10 days in advance. Credits apply only to the SoWa Farmers Market and expire at the end of the season if not used. Credits may not be applied to sold-out dates and/or categories or to other markets. Exceptions to the cancellation policy will be considered on a case by case basis and only in the event of a personal or family emergency. You may be required to submit official proof of the emergency.
SWITCHING RESERVED DATES and CHANGE FEE:
In order to switch a date we need at least 10 days e-mailed notice. Vendors are permitted one free date change per season. Additional date changes will incur a $25 change fee. Date changes are contingent on market and/or category availability. Please use our Contact Form to request a date switch.
Additional dates above and beyond the market minimums may be added at any time during the season. Change fees do not apply when reserving additional dates. Confirmation of additional dates is subject to market and/or category availability. To add dates, please use the Contact Form on the website.
The SoWa Open Market is a rain or shine market. By choosing to participate in a rain or shine market, vendors assume all risks associated with adverse weather conditions. No refunds, credits or make-up dates will be given to vendors who choose not to attend a market for weather related reasons.
Market cancellation will be considered only in the very rare event of an official severe weather warning or a 100% chance of heavy rain for the entire duration of the market. Market cancellations are at the sole discretion of NE Open Markets, LLC. No refunds, credits or make-up dates will be granted in the event of a market cancellation due to weather or if the market closes early due to weather.
OPERATION OF VENDOR BOOTHS:
- The market manager will make vendor booth assignments in a fair and equitable manner based on the needs of the market.
- Vendors should prominently display a sign with the business name and all required City of Boston Health Permits.
- Vendors must comply with all federal, state, and local health ordinances. Any unsafe or unsanitary conditions should be brought to the immediate attention of the market manager.
- Vendors shall provide their own booths/tables/tents and sun/rain covers.
- Vendors shall provide their own tent weights, at least 40lbs per tent leg, click HERE to read more.
- Vendors will clean their assigned area at the end of each market day.
- Vendors will conduct their business in a professional manner.
- Vendors will hold NE Open Markets. LLC and its employees/agents harmless from any liability, expense, claims, damages or suits related to participation at the SoWa Famers Market
- Behavior by vendors judged to be disruptive or detrimental to the peaceful operation of the market shall not be allowed.
- New England Open Markets, LLC and its representatives are not responsible for damage or loss of any personal belongings.
The SoWa Farmers Market managers and promoters reserve the right to restrict or terminate any vendor’s activity or remove any product, which, in their opinion, is objectionable or inappropriate or is detrimental to the quality of the event as a whole. In the event of any restrictions or evictions, the SoWa Farmers Market and its affiliates will not be liable for any refund of rental or other expenses.
The SoWa Farmers Market managers and promoters reserves the right to remove, without refund or recourse, any exhibitor who misrepresents himself or his product. In addition, the promoter reserves the right not to select vendors who may not be suitable for the market.
The SoWa Farmers Market reserves the right to amend or add to the applicable rules pertaining to and governing the SoWa Farmers Market at any time during and before the operating season. All participating vendors at the SoWa Farmers Market will be made aware of all additions or amendments. The interpretation of all the rules by the promoters shall be final.
Need help? Email us, we’ll be happy to help!